All Your Love is Just a Dream, Dream, Dream

Posted by Drew | Posted in , | Posted on 8:32 AM

Ok, so I'll explain the new title to my blog, since many believe I've become emo or something (no more than before haha).

One of my favorite bands is the Counting Crows. The past 5 summers I've seen them live, and I'm bummed that they aren't coming anywhere near here this summer (unless things change). One of my favorite, if not my overall favorite, songs by them is "A Murder of One." It was released on their first album "August and Everything After" back in 1993, so I think thats a little pre-emo haha. But I didnt just pick it because I liked the song and thought it sounded cool, I picked it because of two main, deeper reasons...

I've been watching you for hours.
It's been years since we were born.
We were perfect when we started...
I've been wondering where we've gone.

The first is that if you read the lyrics to the song, its about a guy who is in love with a girl who he was in a relationship with at some point, but the girl is now with another guy. And that pretty much sums up and fits perfectly how i feel for a someone right now, but i think thats another post.

There's a bird that nests inside you
Sleeping underneath your skin.
Yeah, when you open up your wings to speak
I wish you'd let me in.

The second is kind of a second meaning to the title. The song was written by the Counting Crows, and a group of Crows is a "murder." So a murder of one takes on a whole new "loner" meaning.

I'm not a loner, but I don't mind being alone. I often don't throw my feelings out to others especially friends because I dont really want to burden them. I will however always be their for them. Its just the way I am and I dont think I can really change. Its probably not the healthiest for me, but it works for now.

So there, that pretty much sums up the new name for everyone, and I'll post a youtube video of the song below this if you want to listen to the song.

Comments (3)

very nice-- meaningful title!

I didn't know this song, although I like it. I am a counting crows fan for sure, but I never owned August and Everything After-- though I love most of the songs from it. I got into them with Recovering the Satellites and "Monkey" always reminds me of a guy I had a huge crush on in HS. I've only seen them live once-- it was the "medicine show" tour with Augustana. It was a good show-- I loved the counting crows, but it was right after Adam had some kind of injury and he was on pain killers and acting crazier than usual...which was funny, but they also cut their set really short because of it--so that sucked.

Much Love,
Steve

Thats awesome about seeing them. I went to the last show on the "Traveling Circus and Medicine Show" Tour last year. It was pretty cool, and definitely something new. I was kind of bummed that Michael Franti and Spearhead dropped off the tour a couple shows before the show I went to. But it was at a really cool venue, where the security was relaxed. So everyone was supposed to be in seats (I was in like the 10th row) but we ended up walking down and standing in front of the stage, creating our own pit. Maybe I'll post pictures sometime.

I rather like Counting Crows, though I don't know why I don't listen to them more often. Any suggestions?